Thursday, January 15, 2015

Even Further

We romantically ponder.. imagine how it might have been.. back in the day.. the great labor movement... the halls filled with pint glasses raised.. songs in the air... workers in the great halls of labor... when the movement was vibrant...



People in the now.. suggest a labor party.. so.. off I go to go Even Further.. and possibly further than that!

A long road trip to Washington, DC to visit with a friend....

 Mike Elk is a son. The son of an organizer...... Big Elk.. I met Mr. Elk in Chicago, in a hotel room at a labor conference. The dog and pizza, the Mom and a son... and  [THE FATHER].  It is these relationships that I love to watch.. to get a peek into.. to see a son talk to a father.. the little horns tells stories of success and failure... to the big horns.

My father is an E lectrician... A contractor.. the guy who I could find at the bar Tim Tam's at 5 pm..
He would be there everyday.. after work.. mon - fri...  

 I would go to the bar across George Rodgers Clark Park.. Mulberry Hill. on my mongoose, BMX. to be exact..... and hang out at the "real union" hall... the beer joint. In Schnizelburg, Germantown.. Louisville, KY

This is where I would get my pickled bologna and crackers..and he would drink his Falls City beer from a 10oz glass...   (VIP) very important part of the story.. 

I would listen to working folks talk... play shuffleboard and make trips to the Convenient store for a pack of Kool cigarettes.

Keep the change...son...

For years, I struggled to figure out how to get a German Catholic working man to pay attention to me. I found later in life, that his role.. and that is it..  a role... in the life play... I unfairly cast him in many a part that he was not qualified to play.

So. I'm going to party.. With Labor Reporters.. this Braden southern organizer.. Louisvillian.. Derby city guy... is driving 10 hours for a party? No... I am driving to go even further.. to hang out with a Big Labor Guy... a dude.. a young whipper snapper.. who has a father sort of like mine.. a working man's man.. union man.

and 


we are just trying to make them proud... that is the role a son plays.... We can't help it..

The only pat on a young man's back that really matters in life...  is the firm side hug and pat on the backside from a father.. 


from that guy that made all those mistakes.. made the dumb ass decisions.. that guy... {THE FATHER} his love is important to a boy... very important..

So a progressive party! That's what i'm going to.. straight to the source..

TO: Report with the Reporters.. hang with the professionals.. the folks who report on the movement.. the struggle.. the War on The Workers... the big labor guy's and gal's... party.

I'll be talking about progressive things....like this very important radio show from another father.. from another son.. Duncan's blog.. Utah's kid.. now that is even further than that! another interesting father and son..... Relation Ship that is gonna sail.... someday!

JP Wright
20150115 1001 hours
Louisville, KY

P.S.

So, UM.. labor reporters...

Scoop.... have you ever heard of Paul Robeson?


No comments:

Post a Comment