Sunday, July 13, 2014

A letter to a friend in the struggle



I posted Singing to the Choir on the new Rebuild the IBT page and they loved it.. I just wish my union Brothers and Sisters… Especially in the IWW would support my music.. I have given away way more CD’s than I have sold… It really chaps my ass when Tom Morello plays at the Teamster convention and then the Port protests.. I,  a Working Teamster.. never invited.. Not once have any of my Teamsters.. Even at TDU,
 asked me to play anything.. I feel weird complaining about this, but union folks are gonna have to figure it out that they have to support their artists and musicians.. now.. you can’t wait until their dead.. Bring us the flowers now.. We need Bread and Roses too..

I have been waiting for one of our Fellow Workers to figure it out that they have a Fellow Worker who needs some support.. sort of how like Ani Difranco fell in love with Utah Phillips and did recordings with him.. The Folk music business gets on my nerves.. I will have to pay more dues I guess… Like Phillips I just want to make a living not a killing… I guess that is why I am still a working Teamster… HA! But my Railroad work is killing me.. I just want to sing… bring people together with their natural voice.. Music.. Much more powerful than Twitter or Facebook.. people coming together.. I have an Exit strategy from the Railroad.. 

But.. It’s a scary jump from a moving train…

But. Seriously.. I think that is why the Occupy Movement was not very successful.. in some ways they were very successful but,  they did not create a lasting Long Memory though Music, Art maybe, a bit.. but.. Leaderless movements… not sure how much those are going to work.. I really don’t think I’m going to remember Guy Fawkes.

I do Remember or at least have learned much from Eugene Debs,Joe Hill, Paul Robeson, A Phillip Randolph.. Malcom X… The Last Poets.. Jimmie Hendrix.. The Grateful Dead.. Mother Jones… the Occupy Movement made who for us to remember?? .. We are the 99 percent? Twinkle Twinkle.. Mic Check?

I think Two Turn tables and a microphone and The roof, the Roof the Roof is on fire! Were much more long living slogans. An Injury to one is an Injury to all !! or We are the 99 percent?? HA.. I'll take our slogan an Injury.. It's time tested!! 


I guess they might have made Tom Morello.. But Sony made him.. Wink Wink…. I do Appreciate his work.. but.. If he is gonna wear that IWW hat.. I hope he will someday be there for the IWW like the other 99 percent are… HA! Maybe he is.. Maybe He and other high profile IWW members have broke out the bread.. I don’t know.. so being critical is not what I wish to be.. but there is something I have learned in 13 years of railroading.. a Squeaky wheel gets the grease!

This is a weird place to be.. I want to write an Article for the Industrial Worker about supporting our Musicians and Artist.. without making it sound like an advertisement for my music.. but we say buy union and look for the Bug.. I don’t want to bug anyone.. but shouting from the roof top? Getting up on a soapbox.. maybe… Maybe I just wrote the article.. to a friend.. a friend in the struggle... 

 Utah Phillips made a decision.. at a crossroads.. once. Johnny Cash wanted to record some of his songs and he told him no. Bruce was standing at the crossroads. I am not suggesting that Cash was the devil, but Bruce could have made a bunch of money from this decision.. he chose to not let his music into the machine. He wished to stay true to his Credo.. Make a living not a Killing.. so…. I live by a credo that is a mix of two Credos by my two most favorite people.. Eugene V Debs and Paul Robeson.. 

I do this because it make me happy, Folk music belongs to the people, when I see people suffer, I myself suffer. We artists and musicians come from the people and our art is inspired by the people. We must serve the people. I have a heart for others and that is why I am in this work. So when I work to relive others human suffering or memorialize their struggle in song, I am working for myself. I do not consider that I have made any sacrifice whatsoever. No man does.. unless he violates his conscience.

All of what I wrote.. is why i gave that CD to you for free.. Freedom is my work and my gift to you!

 Yours for the One Big Union Grand…


FW JP


No comments:

Post a Comment